expiration date



my heart stalled somewhere between the left and right ventricle
a trick of the moment
a heat maybe
burning the face held between my fists

i tried to pull away
to jump start the old ticker
slapping my hands
against skin
against hair whiter now than i wanted it to be
than i remembered it to be

looking for that on/off switch
before my air runs out
and the lights go off

past my prime a bit
i want to keep ripening
here
in this spot where trauma stops its viscous bleed
my fingers near the magic buttons
painted red and green

expiration date smudged


copyright/all rights reserved Audrey Howitt 2014

Not at all sure what this is about today--









Comments

  1. ugh. in light of my dads heart attack earlier this year, i hope you are not going through this literally...
    we all have those expiration dates...kinda glad we cant read them...though i wonder if we could if we might live a bit differently...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brian--I am fine--just thinking about stuff I think--

      Delete
  2. Poignant and thoughtful. There are times when we all ponder about this. Well expressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and thoughts--thank you for stopping by! I don't always reply here, but always try to reciprocate--so hang in there, I will be over to your blog in a jiffy!

Popular Posts